Roughly three weeks into 2015, I’ve been spending a lot of my free time simplifying my life. This includes both in the house and in my personal life. Instead of a lengthy post today, I thought I’d share some of the ways I’m doing this.
- Cleaning up my closet. I touched on this a bit in my resolutions post, but I started it in 2014 and plan on really kicking it into high gear this year. I want to actually get down to 37 high quality, versatile items. I will obviously have a capsule for each season. I’ve been donating, selling on eBay + ThredUp (more on this later; I’m currently waiting for them to finish going through the huge bag I sent awhile back), and selling on Facebook pages. Anything to clear my stuff out, make a little cash on what I can, and replenish what I’m now missing with nice, high quality items (my favorite stores include Madewell, J. Crew, and Everlane which has amazing, inexpensive, high quality items- check it out!).
- Letting go of the past. To me, nothing makes life simpler than a fresh start, and what better time to have one than the beginning of a new year? I don’t normally feed into the “new year, new you” talk, but I’m trying to be more open-minded this year, hence all the resolutions. I’m doing my part in this by letting go of all the things that bothered me from last year and years prior. This obviously takes a lot of work and a lot of patience, but you’ve got to start somewhere, right?
- Spring cleaning. I’m not very good at putting this off until spring actually gets here. Mine usually commences in January or February. I’ve already cleaned all the downstairs carpets, and now I have dusting hard-to-reach places (like fans and behind the fridge), organizing the pantry/cabinets, getting rid of knick-knacks that no longer have a place, repairing or replacing broken or old/worn down furniture, deep cleaning bathrooms, washing linens, fixing any paint scuffs, organizing closets, refreshing bedrooms with new, small decorations, etc. The list is long, but the payoff (in my eyes) can’t be beat. I love a clean house.
- Cleaning up my social media accounts. In addition to deleting people I don’t really talk to, I just want to make the accounts easier to manage in general.
- Getting back into yoga and meditating. I just feel like these both keep my mind clean and stress-free. This is also where I feel most confident, and everybody can use a boost of that.
- A productive visit to the container store. I like my house organized into neat little labeled boxes.
- A fresh mentality. This is a blanket goal. I want this outlook to cover all parts of my life.
How are you spring cleaning? Do you enjoy it? Any tips? Tell me in the comments!